The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) is committed to student success by working together to inspire, empower, and support all learners to achieve their full potential. To maintain our educational environments, it is important that exposure to advertising within in-person or virtual school settings is carefully considered.
- No person, business or organization shall be permitted to advertise, distribute, promote, offer for sale or sell, directly or indirectly, any product, activity or service to students in a school either in-person or virtually or on school property without permission from the School Administrator(s) and the Area Superintendent. These consultations are to ensure that students are not unnecessarily exposed to commercial advertising.
- Materials approved for advertising or distribution will be in keeping with the DSBN’s strategic plan and will not be in contravention of any DSBN Policy.
- Fees shall be charged, or goods/services in kind received, for commercial advertisements.
- A written advertising contract between the school and the advertiser shall be prepared for each type of advertisement.
- From time to time, direction may be given to the system by the Director of Education or designate in respect to DSBN-wide approvals or cautions about particular advertising.
- Items that may be considered advertisements but are acquired and physically placed in schools through the DSBN’s official procurement process are administered through Purchasing Services. These items are governed by the terms of procurement contracts and are therefore exempt from the terms of this policy (e.g., beverage and snack vending machines).