The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) strives to ensure a safe environment in its schools for students, staff and members of the community. The provision and use of identification badges for all employees of the DSBN, along with all other visitors is one method to be used in support of this goal. It shall be the policy that all employees, non-school based staff and non-School Board personnel and visitors must wear identification badges while on DSBN property or attending off-site school events.
The badges are intended to be a means by which all employees of the DSBN and non-school based staff and non-School Board personnel and visitors, approved to be in a school building, can be readily identified. Those without official status (i.e., without a badge) would also be readily identifiable and their purpose for being on school property could be questioned.
The Human Resources Department (or those responsible for the Safe School Act) shall be responsible for the provision and coordination of the use of Identification Badges.
The ITS Department, supported by the Educational Media and Resource Centre, shall be responsible for preparation and disbursement of the badges in coordination with the Human Resources Department or hiring/supervising department.
- The use of Identification Badges is generally intended to apply during the normal daytime hours of operation of the DSBN schools and at all events held offsite by the DSBN.
- All full and part-time employees will be issued an identification badge at the beginning of the school year or on their first day of employment. The identification badge shall contain the bearer’s name and photograph.
- All occasional employees will be issued a DSBN - Casual Identification badge on their first day of employment. The identification badge shall contain the bearer’s first name, last name, photograph and position title.
- All contract employees will be issued a Contract Identification badge on their first day of employment. The identification badge shall contain the bearer’s first name, last name, position, photograph and end date of the contract.
- Employees of identified contract companies who provide services to the DSBN on a regular ongoing basis (e.g., security intrusion system employees, selected maintenance contractors) who have occasion to visit various school buildings as a requirement of their contracted responsibilities, shall be issued Contractor Identification Badges.
- Bus, van, taxi drivers and courier service employees shall be issued Identification Badges by their companies identifying them as employees of specific companies engaged to provide services on behalf of the DSBN.
- All other visitors entering a school shall attend the office in accordance with DSBN Procedures. Each visitor not in possession of a photo identification or identification badge shall be required to wear a “Visitors” badge while on DSBN property.
- All personnel who have been issued either a Photo Identification or Identification Badge shall be required to wear those badges prominently at all times when in DSBN schools and DSBN school events held offsite.