It is the policy of the District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) to foster and maintain a safe environment for its students, staff and community through the implementation of effective measures to ensure safety and security in schools and at school sponsored events.
The DSBN will act to achieve safe and secure schools through such means as:
- Promoting mutual well-being affirming healthy and respectful relationships throughout the whole school community and encouraging positive attitudes that develop in students the skills and knowledge necessary to foster and maintain healthy and respectful relationships in a safe, inclusive and accepting learning environment.
- Creating conditions where students feel valued and safe and have a sense of well-being and belonging to the school community.
- Establishing and implementing procedures designed to encourage a positive school climate.
- Employing strategies that address the prevention and impact of inappropriate behaviour, as well as identifying and providing support for students at risk of being bullies and/or victims.
- Collaboratively promoting positive student behaviour through a code of conduct.
- Establishing procedures to be followed by staff in situations involving serious violent incidents and the impact of such incidents.
- Addressing inappropriate behaviour through progressive discipline that acknowledges individual student identities, considers all mitigating factors, contributes to the restoration of healthy and respectful relationships, and is in accordance with provincial and federal legislation, the Education Act and DSBN Policy.
- Ensuring development and support for staff involved in the administration of this Policy.