Start typing to perform a search...
The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) believes that resignations for retirement or personal purposes are best co-ordinated with student program and learning when the retirements come at natural breaks in the school year. Requests for retirement or resignation will be granted if:
- written notice is given by November 30th for retirement/resignation at the end of December (elementary);
- written notice is given by November 30th for retirement/resignation at the end of Semester 1 (secondary);
- written notice is given by May 1st for retirement/resignation at the end of June, July or August (both elementary and secondary).
- All other dates must be recommended to the DSBN by the Director of Education as "special circumstances". There is no automatic approval if the notice given is less than the statutory requirement of the Employment Standards Act. Teachers should contact the appropriate Superintendent if they are contemplating retirement or resignation at a time other than those outlined in #1 above.
- Please note: Teachers contemplating resignation for the purpose of remaining eligible for commuting a pension are subject to the guidelines stated above.