The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) recognizes the interdependence of the environment, the economy and
society, and the challenge of balancing all three in building a healthy, sustainable future. The DSBN believes in the
concept of sustainable development as defined by the United Nations World Commission of Environment and
Development and is committed to assuming a leadership role, corporately and in school communities, by modelling
sound environmental education and management attitudes and practices.
The DSBN will:
- Promote teaching and learning about environmental issues and solutions.
- Engage students, staff, and school community to participate actively in practicing and promoting environmental
stewardship both in the school and in the community.
- Provide leadership by implementing and promoting responsible environmental practices throughout the
education system so that students, staff, parents/guardians, and community members become dedicated to
living more sustainably.
- Build a culture that values the environment by promoting awareness of responsible purchasing and disposal
practices to support energy use efficiencies and conservation.
- Facilitate sound waste management procedures with a strong emphasis on reduction strategies (reduce, reuse,
- Design safe school grounds with an ecological focus, recognizing the importance of creating and sustaining
healthy, natural school grounds that support child development and learning.
- Focus on reducing our global footprint by aggressively addressing utility waste and greenhouse gas emissions
in compliance with legislative requirement O. Reg. 507/18: Broader Public Sensor: Energy Reporting and
Conservation and Demand Management Plans, and as referenced in the DSBN Energy Conservation and
Demand Management Plans.