Start typing to perform a search...
- The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) supports out of school programs as a valuable means of enriching the
curriculum and reinforcing learning.
- An out of school program should include classroom preparation and follow-up, and should challenge students in a
manner consistent with curriculum expectations.
- Prior to any commitment being made, the following information must be submitted to, and approved by, the
appropriate Superintendent of Education:
Every effort should be made to keep the cost per student as reasonable as possible.
- Money being expended by the school.
- Fundraising taking place.
- Details regarding travel and accommodation arrangements for overnight trips.
- The School Administrator(s) of a school whose curriculum involves out of school programs should ensure the
following are considered when such events are being planned:
- Rationale for, and objectives of, out of school program.
- Designation of a person who will be in charge of the program.
- Plan for safety, insurance and medical arrangements and/or coverage.
- Provision of supervision to ensure the safety and well-being of students based on the type of activity, the age,
special needs and skills of the students and/or any special conditions regarding a specific site(s).
- Provision of details regarding trip to parents/guardians.
- Plan for the arrangement of transportation for students to and from the event.
- Plan for obtaining parent/guardian consent to participate.
- Completion of form authorizing volunteer drivers.
- Plan to obtain parent/guardian consent regarding use of volunteer drivers.
- Statement of expectations regarding student behaviour.
- Plan for students who cannot return with the main group.
- Provision of an alternate program for students not participating in the out of school program.