The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) values, supports and expects the involvement of school volunteers to
enhance all aspects of school life for the benefit of students. The DSBN believes that the presence and participation of
school volunteers contributes to more effective partnerships between a school and its community.
Volunteers in the school shall mean responsible persons from the community who provide services to the school that
meet specific needs determined by the School Administrator(s).
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The responsibility to approve/not approve volunteers, lies with the School Administrator(s).
- School Administrator(s) will endeavour to match the skills of the volunteers with student, staff and program needs.
- School volunteers may be required to participate in an orientation and/or informal "training" program.
- School volunteers are required to maintain the confidentiality of personal information regarding staff and students.
- School volunteers shall be responsible to the School Administrator(s) but depending on the assignment, may be
supervised by other staff.
- School volunteers do not have ultimate responsibility for the supervision or formal discipline of students.
- Under some circumstances or depending on the activity or at the discretion of the School Administrator(s), school
volunteers may be required to complete a criminal record check.
- School volunteer drivers, including staff members must complete the “Volunteer Driver Acknowledgement” form for
School volunteers who are working within the scope of their duties are covered by the DSBN’s liability insurance.