The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) recognizes that input is valuable in the formulation of sound organizational policies. The Policy Committee shall provide access to policy input from all stakeholders including staff, students, parents, and members of the community. The DSBN Board Trustees understand their legislative responsibility for making policy.
Composition of Committee
- The Policy Committee shall be a standing committee of the Board which will meet a minimum of three times per year between the months of September and June or as required.
- The Policy Committee shall consist of five trustees.
- Two (2) administrative resource people designated by the Director shall assist the Committee.
- Depending on the issues to be discussed, additional resource people may be invited to the meeting if it is deemed desirable.
- Trustees are the only voting members of the committee and will make the final decision.
Chair of the Committee
The position of Chair shall be held by a Trustee representative who will preside over the Committee and be responsible for reporting on the policies discussed at a subsequent Regular Meeting of the Board.
The Chair and the two resource people designated by the Director shall form an agenda committee to determine which items will be placed on the agenda for each meeting.
Annually, at the final Policy meeting policies that will be reviewed according to the cycle and any new policies will be distributed for information purposes. A three-step process will be followed to gather input from stakeholders.
Three Step Process
- Policies scheduled for review will be made available to stakeholders via posting on the DSBN public website and an email distribution list will be developed to alert stakeholders. This webpage will enable stakeholders to provide their input electronically on any policy within the review timeframe of 8 weeks.
- A summary of the input shared will be presented to the Trustees at each of the Policy Committee meetings
- At the Policy Committee meeting, after the expiration of the review timeframe, the revised Policy will be presented. Individuals or organizations may make a presentation to the Policy Committee provided they have followed the application process and been approved. Presentations will follow the Delegation ByLaws R-6–R-8-8.2 as located on the DSBN website. Following the Policy Committee meeting, a report will be presented to the Board of Trustees by the Chair of the Policy Committee.