The Education Act permits school boards to establish school boundary areas and the District
School Board of Niagara (DSBN) has supported community schools by creating school boundaries.
This policy directs students to attend their home school, unless for system-wide programming
reasons, accessibility to programs, or other extraordinary circumstances where an alternate
school request may be granted by the DSBN.
In order to facilitate an orderly transition process whereby students move from Grade 8 to
Secondary School, and to strive for school enrolments that allow for effective programming
and appropriate use of facilities, the following concepts will be the basis of the procedural
framework used for that purpose:
- RIGHT TO ATTEND: Students living within the geographic boundary of
the Home School have the right to attend their Home School.
- HOME SCHOOL: Students will normally attend their Home School (i.e.,
the secondary school within which geographic boundary they live). If a student has
been accepted at an alternate secondary school, that school shall now be deemed to
be the student’s Home School.
- SYSTEM PROGRAM: The following system programs have a defined Home School
Boundary within each program area: Extended French (French Immersion*), Specialized
School to Work (SSTW) Program and English as a Second Language. This Boundary determines
the eligibility of a student enrolled in the program to attend the school. Specialized
School to Community (SSTC) placements are determined in collaboration with School Support
Services Special Education Staff. Transportation is provided unless the student withdraws
from the program and continues to attend the school.
- ALTERNATE SCHOOLS: Students may apply to attend an Alternate School
however, transportation is not provided. Reasons for an alternate school request are:
- DNA Arts Program (Laura Secord Secondary) – no transportation provided
- Eden – no transportation provided
- Technology – St. Catharines Collegiate – transportation provided
within St. Catharines/Thorold
- Extraordinary Circumstances – no transportation provided
- MINISTRY RATED CAPACITY: Secondary Schools are capped at their Ministry
Rated Enrolment Capacity (F.T.E.) based on the official projected enrolment.
* Students enrolled in French Immersion commencing in Grade 1 continue with this program through Grade 12.