The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) recognizes that its primary responsibility is to provide quality education to students. As such, it is acknowledged that exposure to advertising within the school setting requires careful consideration. The purpose of this Policy is to provide a framework which outlines the type of advertising that may be appropriate for and/or make a positive contribution to school settings.
- No person, business or organization shall be permitted to advertise, distribute, promote, offer for sale or sell, directly or indirectly, any product, activity or service to students in a school or on the school property without permission from the School Administrator(s), normally in consultation with the School Council.
- Material approved for advertising or distribution will be in keeping with the DSBN’s Mission and Value Statements and will not be in contravention of any DSBN Policy. The School Administrator(s) shall ensure that students are not unnecessarily exposed to commercial advertising.
- Fees shall be charged, or goods/services in kind received, for commercial advertisements.
- A written advertising contract between the school and the advertiser shall be prepared for each type of advertisement.
- From time to time, direction may be given to the system by the Director of Education or designate in respect to DSBN-wide approvals or cautions about particular advertising.
- Items that may be considered advertisements but are acquired and placed in schools through the DSBN’s official procurement process are administered through Purchasing Services. Such items are governed by the terms of procurement contracts and are therefore exempt from the terms of this Policy (e.g., beverage and snack vending machines).
- Should a School Administrator(s) have any questions about the administration, operation or implementation of this Policy, the School Administrator(s) shall contact his/her Area Superintendent.