It is the policy of the District School Board of Niagara to foster and maintain a safe environment for its students, staff and community through the implementation of effective measures to ensure safety in schools and at school sponsored events.
The Board will act to achieve safe schools through such means as:
- encouraging attitudes that develop in students the skills and knowledge necessary to foster and maintain healthy relationships;
- establishing procedures designed to encourage a positive school climate;
- implementing strategies to identify and support students at risk of being bullies and/or victims;
- ensuring the establishment of a code of behaviour;
- establishing procedures to be followed by staff in situations involving serious violent incidents and the aftermath of such incidents;
- applying immediate consequences through fair and consistent disciplinary action in response to inappropriate behaviour in accordance with provincial and federal legislation, the Education Act and Board Policy;
- ensuring appropriate support and staff development for those involved in the administration of this Policy;
- ensuring that each school develops a safe school plan.