The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) is committed to the health and safety of all of its employees, by protecting all employees from workplace injury or occupational illness. All supervisors and workers must be dedicated to sharing the responsibility of reducing the risk of injury and illness by working in compliance with the law and with work practices and procedures established by the DSBN.
The DSBN shall:
- Establish a Multi-Workplace Joint Health and Safety Committee (MWJHSC) consistent with terms of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and the DSBN MWJHSC Terms of Reference.
- Make every reasonable effort to ensure that all administrators/supervisors know their responsibilities as described in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and regulations thereunder, the DSBN MWJHSC Terms of Reference and this policy.
All supervisors* must:
- Maintain safe and healthy work conditions for staff under their authority.
- Ensure that staff work in accordance with safe work practices and procedures.
- Correct unsafe or unhealthy conditions and acts by initiating appropriate corrective action.
- Report and investigate all accidents/incidents.
- Instill safety awareness in workers through education and training.
* NOTE: A supervisor, as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Section 1.(1) means a person who has charge of a workplace or authority over a worker. A supervisor will be held accountable for the health and safety of the employees under their authority. Supervisors are responsible for ensuring that the workplace is safe and that employees work in compliance with established safe work practices and procedures.
- Make every reasonable effort to ensure that all staff know their responsibilities as described in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the DSBN MWJHSC Terms of Reference and this policy.
All staff must:
- Follow safe work procedures and practices.
- Use protective equipment supplied.
- Report any work related illness or injury immediately to their supervisor.
- Report all unsafe and unhealthy acts and conditions to their supervisor.
- Complete appropriate training in their specific work tasks to protect their health and safety.