It is the policy of the District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) to collect, use, retain and disclose personal information in the course of meeting its statutory duties and responsibilities. The DSBN is committed to the protection of privacy and complies with all applicable provisions in the Education Act, the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), and any other applicable legislation.
The protection of personal information held by the DSBN is guided by the principles contained in the Ontario School Board Privacy Standard. These principles include accountability and responsibility; specified purpose; consent; limiting collection; limiting use, retention and disclosure, accuracy of information collection; safeguards; openness and transparency; access and correction; and compliance.
“Personal information” means recorded information about an identifiable individual, including
- information relating to the race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or marital or family status of the individual
- information relating to the education or the medical, psychiatric, psychological, criminal or employment history of the individual or information relating to financial transactions in which the individual has been involved
- any identifying number, symbol or other particular assigned to the individual
- the address, telephone number, fingerprints or blood type of the individual
- the personal opinions or views of the individual except if they relate to another individual
- correspondence sent to an institution by the individual that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature, and replies to that correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence
- the view or opinions of another individual about the individual, and
- the individual’s name if it appears with other personal information relating to the individual or where the disclosure of the name would reveal other personal information about the individual.