The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) recognizes the interdependence of the environment, the economy and
society, and the challenge of balancing all three in building a healthy, sustainable future. The DSBN believes in the
concept of sustainable development as defined by the United Nations World Commission of Environment and
Development and “meeting the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to
meet their own needs.”
The DSBN is committed to meeting the following objectives for environmental sustainability:
- Promoting teaching and learning about environmental issues and solutions.
- Engaging students and staff to participate actively in practicing and promoting environmental stewardship both in the
school and in the community.
- Providing leadership by implementing and promoting responsible environmental practices throughout the education
system so that students, staff, parents/guardians, and community members become dedicated to living more
- Develop and promote ecologically sound purchasing and disposal practices.
- Facilitate sound waste management procedures with a strong emphasis on reduction strategies (reduce, reuse, recycle).