The District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) recognizes that the naming/renaming of a school is important for employees and
students as well as to the surrounding community. As needed, an ad hoc committee for the purpose of naming/renaming shall
be established in accordance with this policy.
INITIATION OF NAMING/RENAMING PROCESS
The Superintendent of Education in the area of the school to be renamed will submit a request by letter to the Chair of the
Board of Trustees. With appropriate input from the Board of Trustees, the Chair and the Director of Education will determine
if a naming committee will be formed.
- Local Trustee(s) associated school
- School Administrator representative or designate
- Local School Council representative(s)
- Student representative(s)
- Superintendent of Education (serving as Chair and resource support)
- Community/Municipal representative if available
ROLE OF THE COMMITTEE
- The committee will be provided with a list of possible names by the Committee Chair
- The committee will evaluate suggestions and the information provided in support of the proposed name based on the naming
- The committee will vote using a system outlined at the first meeting by the Committee Chair
- Input will be sought via DSBN and school communication vehicles including but not limited to newsletters/notices, websites
and social media
- Naming criteria, along with deadlines for submission of names will be clearly communicated with requests for naming input
To guide name selection, the Naming Committee will consider names that:
- Inspire students
- Reflect DSBN’s vision, mission, core values and community composition
- Recognize a renowned Canadian with significance to the Niagara community
- Honour a Canadian whose contribution to Canadian society or to the world is recognized and valued across Canada
- Depict an event that has shaped life in Niagara
- Recognizes an historical name or event which once applied to the area in which the school is located
- Identifies the community served by the school
- Uses the name of the street on which the school is located
Proposed names cannot:
- Be of current employees or members of the Board
VOTING FOR THE NAME
- Superintendent of Education will submit the top 3 names put forth by the committee with the rationale for each name to
the Office of the Director of Education.
- The Director of Education staff coordinates the voting of the school name at a future regular meeting of the Board of
- Trustees will submit their preferences by ballot. Voting will continue until there is a clear majority.
- After voting has concluded, the Chair of the Board of Trustees will request that a motion be made to declare the new
name of the school and the effective date. The motion will be seconded and passed by the Board of Trustees.